Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Linguocracy: Fable One

Once upon a time, a woman put her elbows on her dining table and was asked to remove them and  be cultured.
 
“Cultured?”, she said, “If it’s my ancestors culture you are speaking of, I believe they didn’t eat on tables, so their elbows weren’t governed by any rules. If it’s my part of the world you referred to, most people eat sitting on the floor. If it’s your culture you want me to follow, give me one good reason I should. If it’s the culture of the dominant races, perhaps the nations that had colonized my community in the past, then I should reject your advise on principle. If you’re asserting that believing in this sort of culture makes you superior, then you’re unbelievably elitist. If culture is exclusively your property, then what do you call lifestyles of other communities? If the act of keeping your elbows off the table has been historically relevant, it doesn’t show me how it’s relevant today.”

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post for the essential reason that it's hard-hitting and puts a lot of things into perspective...Good work Nabila!Looking forward to subsequent fables.

    ReplyDelete